Sunday, May 20, 2012

Quinoa Salad




I was trying to get a quick lunch at a supermarket the other day and I decided to get some quinoa salad in addition to my bread and brie.  I haven't had it in a while, and what I really liked about it is that it was minty.  I don't usually use mint in food, but suddenly this seemed like a great idea.  So, I decided to add mint in my next quinoa salad.  Quinoa has some great nutritional benefits, but in all honesty it is plain and tasteless.  I made a different kind of quinoa salad a couple of years ago, and described some of the nutritional features.  You won't lure hungry customers into your restaurant with quinoa salad for sure, but it makes a great healthy side to a good meal.  


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 medium size tomato
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • radish, chopped
  • 4-6 stalks of parsley, chopped
  • 10 mint leaves, chopped
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • optional ingredients: bell or banana peppers, dried cranberries



In a small to medium cooking put combine quinoa and water.  Bring to boil, then turn the hear down and continue to cook covered for 15 minutes.  Check on it occasionally.  The water should be completely absorbed when finished.  





While quinoa is cooking, chop up the veggies.  I like to cut them into small pieces so that it would mix well and I can get many different flavors in one bite, but you can cut them however you like.  



When chopping parsley, I use the leaves only and discard the stems.  Stems are OK to use as well, just a little more crunchy.  



Combines all the chopped veggies and herbs in a dish large enough to accommodate your quinoa in addition to veggies and herbs.  Add olive oil, salt and pepper and mix.  



When quinoa is done cooking, let it cook for a while.  You can mix it with a spoon to allow it to cool faster. When quinoa has cooled down to room temperature, add it to the bowl and mix well.  



Serve cold as a side dis, appetizer or a salad.  
 






0 comments:

Post a Comment