Monday, December 21, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage


I found this recipe in a magazine while waiting in a dentist chair. I've never made anything from pumpkin before, and it just looked really interesting. I tried to remember the ingredients and procedure, however when I got home and tried to write it down I realized that I forgot most parts of it. I new it involved 2 butternut squashes, so I went to the supermarket and got that. The rest of it is my invention, but when it was done, it was delicious. So, I am sharing this success with you now.


Ingredients:

2 butternut squashes (2 1/2 lbs each)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 stalks celery, grated
2 large shallots, chopped
1 carrot, grated
3 twigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
32oz chicken broth (you can make this vegetarian with vegetable broth)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish:
fresh sage leaves
2 cups of french bread cut in cubes



Cut the squashes in halves, remove the seeds.



Place cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour.



Saute shallots, carrot and celery in oil, then add peeled baked squashes, and the rest of the ingredients. Boil at low heat stirring occasionally.



While the soup is cooking, cut up a couple of slices of french bread into cubes. Fry them in butter or oil for several minutes until they harden and are golden brown in color.

Serve the soup in individual bowls with fresh sage leaves on top and french bread croutons on the side.


Featured product:

Banner_black_336x168

0 comments:

Post a Comment